Monday 20 April 2015

D&B - 4 Finishing the Background trees

To date, there are 88 trees on this piece already. LOL
I wasn't prepared to stitch branches for all those trees as I had for the smaller ones.
But I wanted to put shadow and a hint of fullness in the background. I considered a number of things, including paint and wool roving. This morning I settle on tiny shirt slivers of netting dribbled on and barely anchored with a line of stitching down the trunks. I held them in place with a removable stabilizer.
They will be further anchored by anything I place over them.......trees of course.




 
Moving forward involves a couple of things. LOTS more shrubs and more colour.
I tucked in some small pieces of green chiffon at the horizon but I can't use that intense colour in the foreground. The distance consolidates small bit of colour into a solid hue but in the foreground its broken up.
 
I also needed to address the forest floor. Too pale and too light. I took a whole sheet of cheesecloth and treated it with a combination of paint and ink. When this is used under the shrubs and trees it will give a more natural look to the colours on the forest floor.
 
The shrubs are getting pink and bigger as we more forward. It's almost time for another layer of birch trees but I know I need at least 20 to 30 more shrubs. I need to take frequent breaks when I stitch and trim them. 

When my cheese cloth was damp I ironed it to set the colour.
 


 
After tucking the cloth up under the stable shrubs it was scrunched on the remaining foreground. A dew of the pink dogwood in place and some tree trunks TWICE the size, we are definitely moving foreword.
Still no need to place this on canvas !
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment