Wednesday 29 June 2016

IPM - Day 25

LOTS of little things today.

I started out by addressing the road and the turf on either side. I know I wanted tall grass in the sunny areas and I knew I had to "rough up" the path edges.



Stitching grass ('till the cows come home, haha) wasn't going to give me the effect I wanted because there would be too many stitches breaking up the flow of the tall grass.
I decided to cut thread in about one inch lengths and lay them in place as grass. A light netting and a few passes of "stitched" grass held them securely. This allowed me to place the colour where I wanted it rather than have the variegated thread dictate where it would be. Each blade of grass is full length without being chopped up with stitch breaks. A softer look I think.
I used 4 different shades of variegated thread for this, the lighter ones in the sun and a darker one for the deep shade at the bottom.
The edge of the path was restitched in different colours. It's closer to what I want, but I may revisit it again.
Just that lower right corner to deal with now.



I filled out the bottom left with leaves and stems bringing the vegetation right up to the road.

I mentioned before I've been changing the shape of this piece each time I put the photos through Photoshop. And I'll show you why.



Here is the un-cropped work.
I have already decide to chop about 4 inches off the bottom. It's just too heavy otherwise.  But now I'm looking at lowering the top edge as well........to here....


Still lots of time to make that decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment