Sometimes you just have to trust yourself.
It's pretty risk free when your work is made off the canvas and stitched on. If you don't like the effect you can toss it. Today I held my breath and jumped in!
This was holding me back. It had to be finished before the surround areas, because the foliage is intended to lean over it as it does on an abandoned path.
This had to be done on the canvas. But with all the bits and pieces in the makeup of the road to date, cloth, wool roving, netting, it would be next to impossible to change my mind or rip anything out.
I started by slitting the netting and inserting some snips of fabric and organza. I needed highlights, places where the sun comes through the canopy.
Over that I placed another layer of pale beige gauze to imply a brighter intensity of light on the path. Then I held my breath and started stitching, first with beige and browns.
I didn't want ruts, I just wanted an irregular surface. This also served to anchor the gauze and the cut netting with the bits underneath.
Finally I went for green.
The edges were done first again, to anchor that gauze. It's looks rather rigid at the moment but that will change with the addition of overhanging larger vegetation. The grass was a bit of trial and error to get the right colour as it moved from very exposed to shade.
And finally back to the big picture......
It's coming along.