Sunday, 1 May 2016

Design Process

I finished putting in the outlines for all the flowers and foliage in their respective squares. 16 floral and 12+ leaf designs (+ because some are half and some quarter.)
Then I spent 3 hours today taking off the remainder of the paper.


I had removed the excess over the last few days as I moved down the quilt face. I left the interior paper because rolling it on the frame helps to loosen the tight corners and makes for less tweezer work.

So about 3 hours were necessary to finish that job.

But I'm not happy!



I'm thinking, now, the thread was too pale for this kind of quilting.
I want the Baltimore style motifs to show but not overpower. Right now they do neither. I know they're not complete, this is only an outline but I'm thinking that I'm going to need to add a few shots of deeper lilac.



The pale thread is probably fine on the grey blocks. There is still more detail to come in joining the individual leaves. This material really doesn't compete with the thread.





But the busy floral might be too much competition. I won't know for sure until I start finishing each motif. I hesitate to lay down a lot of thread if I'm going to have to take it out. The backing on this one is a fine Kaffe, almost like a Liberty cotton.






That's what 3 hrs of removing tiny pieces of paper looks like. I'll sweep it up tomorrow.

In the meantime....I made fruit TARTS instead while I think it over. ( Company coming tonight...a bottomless pit of a grown son........the ONLY time I bake or make desserts!)