Thursday 21 August 2014

Swampy Thingy ( For Want of a Better Title)

This switching between painting fabric and sewing is beginning to take its toll. I'm restless and don't sleep well and monkey mind all night. Planning on going away hasn't helped because I've just been putting off doing something, Anything. So I just dove in today.

First order of business was getting my little Inuksuk ready to travel. I tweaked them a bit with some ink and paint and anchored them with their batting. The primary job left with them is the sky. That's just freemotion work. With these small pieces I don't mind interruptions. (You know, things like Food and Drink and evening sunsets.)



I also spent about an hour painting the background for the wetlands and cat tails. I wanted water. I knew if I used the transparent paint it would simple combine with the other colours, so I went to my Derwit ink sticks again. The clean colours sits on top of the base. That combined with a little pearl paint which is also opaque gave me what I wanted. Both are permanent with heat setting.


And then I just dove in to work this piece. I can see the islands or firmer ground with its brush and growth. Now I need to bring it out of the material. I started with the far horizon.


 The slight bleeding of the green into the sky was the perfect jump off for trees. Three colours later...


This piece is slow and careful work. I'll try to remember to take lots of pictures while I'm away.

No comments:

Post a Comment