Sunday, 2 April 2017

Leaves For 150th

I intend to do a number of "maple" themed pieces for Canada's 150th Anniversary this summer.
This is my first 'playtime'.
Using the material I had intended for something 'fire' I decided after the Ft. Mac fire last summer it was a bit inappropriate at this time so I cut out some maple leaves.
These are not 'full frontal'. Leaves hang and fold so this is a first attempt to make it a little more true to life.


After cutting out the leaf shapes I decided to "tart" them up a bit more as their colours are never smooth.


The background was another of last summer's cloths. This one was dyed with the walnuts (I stole from the squirrels). Starting with a 40 inch width, I cut gentle curves and restitched. The width is now down to less that 30 inches between the cutting waste and the rough 1/4 inch seam allowance.

 

Now I have to wait for the paint to dry!

The background was given batting and backing and all the strips were SID. The dried leaves were placed on trial.
Tomorrow I'll play. They need detail and veins as well as a satin stitch finish, and twigs of course. More than enough for another day's work.