Saturday 18 November 2017

New Piece - Sample

I feel like I've done confetti art to death. It was well received by the CQA judges and I'm ready to move on. I'll do more, but just not right now.
After my little venture into the collage world, (fish), I'm not quite ready to jump into a major piece.

I'm giving a show and talk next month at the Dufferin Piecemakers guild in Orangeville and a workshop in the New Year. As the ladies haven't chosen a workshop theme yet I thought I would work up some fresh pieces that would be quick to finish and still have a lot of impact. The Confetti is a choice, but I'd prefer not to go there for a one day workshop.

I photographed this piece of original art a few years ago at a local show. The colour is chunky and I thought collage might be the way to go. Just a few colours but with a major impact.


The Blue and Greens were what caught my eye. ( And the birch of course )


 Confetti method but the pieces are much larger. I started with two colours of chiffon and then moved to solids.


After a false start I went back and added the dark foreground, and then started over with the foliage.


I muddied my 'birch' fabric and added some blue paint to tie things together.
After first covering it all with netting, I changed my mind, removed the trees and used the soluble stabilizer. I wanted a cleaner look without the net. As these pieces are much larger, it isn't necessary to stitch the whole thing.


In some ways it is easier to work with. As long as your fabrics are wet-able there is no issue with removing the stabilizer at the end.


The stitching is lighter and more open. This works up faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment