Sunday 26 November 2017

Sample 3 - Confetti Art

Confetti is deceptively simple. It goes together in a flash but then it needs almost 5x as much time stitching it down.

I've tried several approaches. When I started, I sprayed my base fabric with Krylon. The fact that I still overlaid it with netting made that redundant and a little sticky. Now I use nothing but netting.

I've made pieces in layers, stitching the background separately. This works very well if the foreground is not more confetti.

But this piece, I've adapted from a copyrighted piece done in tiles, using in my version, only 3+ colours of fabric. I recommend batiks as they have no right side. Nothing is more frustrating (but sometimes necessary) than picking out pieces that fell 'butter side down' and turning them over.

Using a base fabric that is almost the same colour as the foreground hides a lot.
This piece is over sized and the intent is to cut it down. That way there are no empty spots at the sides.

First the 'ground'.
Some of the under-story and tree trunks. ( Batik resists fraying so its great for 'skinny'.)



The main fabric colour and darker accents.


This is finished. That took maybe 1 and 1/5 hrs. and less than a FQ of the fabrics combined.
all that's left to do it pin.

HA!
HA! 
Now THAT'S pinning. Nothing can move.........very far.

No comments:

Post a Comment