Friday 28 November 2014

Pine Tree

I finally settled on my next major project and it will probably come as no surprise that it will be........  A Tree. A Pine tree.
I freely admit I am in love with trees and they appear often, in my work.
This gnarly old timer has movement and texture and is a perfect project after my Tofino piece.
 
 
I had printed out a photo a while ago and today the "how" jelled with my materials.
 
Remember this "all day" quilting effort?
 
 
I had tried this technique to use with my large goose, but this first effort was flawed with a dark streak down its length. Today I trimmed it out and lengthened it to a dimension of around 24"x36".


Though I 've changed the proportions of sky to snow, I loved the splash of gold grass behind the pine. It serves to give some colour to the predominant colours of white and black. The sky will also add refreshing colour. You can't go wrong with two primaries. The coloured threads in the sky hint at sunset? Northern Lights?
 
I'll be felting parts as well as using the gimp technique I first used in my Winter Solstice piece. I need to start with a cut-out as there will be some direct stitching of fine branches onto the canvas before the dimensional tree is applied. So something like this.






No comments:

Post a Comment