Sunday 28 September 2014

Red Rock Thread Painting

I suppose in theory, I could have left it alone and gifted it as it was, but this is a pile of sedimentary rock and all those layers are all different shades of reds and oranges. How could I resist.

Finishing the mountains in the background was straight forward. Where I put a line, the mountain slope began. The sky is a different matter, which is why I left it. I'm leaning towards wavy vertical lines to imply heat waves. As I'm not sure, it remains unfinished.
 
 The sand of the desert is shaded a pale green as it's covered with the low growing vegetation. Sage maybe?

 
 For the main portion, I began with the dark shadows. I layered about three colours of brown before I decided I needed to introduce black to get the depth. Embroidery thread is lost here as its too fine. So I've been using my heavy quilting thread, sometimes double. or two colours combined.

 
Using the same combination of thread across different fabrics gives it a lot of colour depth and adds to the sedimentary feel. I have to stand back, often, to decide what pattern is in the rock as they are quite different even if the layers appear parallel.

This is a slow process, even for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment