Saturday 15 February 2014

The Forest For the Deer

Now that the deer is 90% finished, its time to think about a backdrop.
The original picture was okay, but I think the deer can be made to play a more emotional role with a few changes.
 
So here is Bambi out for  stroll. Weather is nice, but this picture is rather dull. So I decided to make the background vertical so the trees themselves could play. (Okay, I have a thing about trees.)
After a short search I came across this photo. It's not vertical but its the look I'm going for.



It has some much needed colour with the dry beech leaves and they compliment the colours in the coat of the deer.
This is a multi layered picture. The trees at the back are pale grey and almost lost in the winter gloom. As you move forward there are fewer branches as the boles of the trees are more pronounced and they become darker and more detailed. Lots going on here.
BUT I wanted to add one more twist. I decided I wanted a winter evening sky with the oranges and the pinks. Placed behind all these trees, it will almost be invisible but it will show.
As its at the very back, of course, that's where to start.

 







There are 7 different shades of organza here, roughly anchored under netting. While they don't appear to be smooth on the white background they will be tamed by everything that goes over them.



 
The first thing on the background is grey organza, marking the location of the furthest visible trees but implying more forest behind. And on those pieces, in the palest of grey I stitched a naked tree.
After the first layer of trees, more organza and a darker shade of grey. Yes the first ones will disappear into the background, but they have to be there to fill the void.


So a Sneak Preview?

No comments:

Post a Comment