Wednesday 19 February 2014

Quilting the Forest

It took one solid day, 7 hours, to micro quilt the background sky. (I'm sure there were several trips to the bathroom and uncountable trips to see if anything interesting had arrived by magic in the Frig. That's a lot of trips up and down the stairs. Who says quilting isn't an aerobic activity?)

As you can see, I've not bothered about the little fraying parts of the tree trunks. Some of the pieces are only a quarter inch wide. The little threads stand in nicely for bare and broken branches.




HOWEVER........  I ended up taking the deer back OFF the piece in order to stitch the Snow. Getting the lines for drifts was hampered by the deer being in place. So she won't go back on now till the bitter end. After the snow is finished? (maybe a few more drift lines?)
.


It was time to start adding snow to the trees.
The look I wanted was what occurs after driving snow sticks to the side of the tree. I'm thinking I may rename this piece " The Quiet After the Storm".

But horror of horrors, my sewing machine decided it had had enough and I couldn't raise the feed dogs. They are necessary at this point to get an even feed for the zigzag stitch I wanted to put down one side of each tree.
AND I couldn't find my tiny little screw driver to open the sole plate on the machine. Panic!!
No
 I have a great friend down the street who loaned me that tiny little piece of metal. And when I opened the machine there was enough lint to fill a thimble. The "dogs" had been jammed down by the lint. I think I sew a lot.

Quick fix and snow fell on the trees. ( Well, 8 of them. )

2 comments:

  1. Writing as someone who doesn't quilt or sew, I have to tell you that reading the Step-by-step posts of how you create these is absolutely fascinating! And of course, I really enjoy seeing the work come together, from the first concept to fiddling with what initially looks like scraps of fabric to seeing the picture emerge.
    This is one of the highlights of my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, my dear. But I could say the same for your fabulous knitting. What are family for?
    xxxxx Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete