Saturday 3 November 2018

Scandinavian Gnomes / Trolls

I've fallen in love with these little guys. They've been around for quite a while, but this year they seem to be popping up everywhere. Thinking they'd make a nice change of pace in my Christmas decorating (minimalist) I dug through the unmarked boxes for 'stuff'. I could only find one piece of fake fur. I know I have more but for a run through of methods, what I had worked fine.


This first fellow (who ended up on my naked Christmas wreath) utilized a sweater sleeve for the body (hidden here with his beard) and a sewn triangle for a hat. The body (sweater) was molded from the lower half of a sleeve, stitched and drawn up tight at both ends (after filling the cavity with rice). The nose was a 2 inch circle from an old T shirt, drawn up like a yoyo and stuffed with craft poly. A strong wire was run down through the body to support and shape the hat. All pieces are hot glued in place. I attached him to the wreath by running a length of tulle through the wires of the wreath frame and tying it off to form a pocket. He sits in the pocket and it's concealed by his beard.


The next big fellow (10 inches) was constructed with the same basic method but I used a piece of regular material. The bottom end is sealed with a circle stitch to the cylinder of material and filled with rice. Nose was the same but the hat I cut shaped from a fake suede. Again everything is hot glued.

The last little fellow is made entirely from one child's sock. He's filled entirely with craft poly and his nose is a white shank button. His hat is the cuff of the sock with a yarn tassel. While he too is hot glued the beard and hat could have been stitched to the body making is a little more stable for little hands.

I need to hunt down the rest of my fake fur. Hmmmmmmmmmmm I also have a mink stole around somewhere the I took apart this summer.
They were fun.
There are tons of variations and pattern out there. Some use cones, some styrofoam balled and some like these just some creative cutting a hand stitching.
Perfect for and evening with my Fibre Arts group.

No comments:

Post a Comment