Saturday 2 June 2018

Felted Bear - Day 3 - Background decisions

I tried several approaches to a background for this bear. The issue as I saw it, was how polished was the final bear going to appear.
This was a relearning experience for me both using the felting machine again and also trying a new approach to my bear friends.
I decided the best path was to leave him 'rough'. Identifying where you might find that style of bear lead me eventually to one conclusion, a petroglyph.

This also gave me a way to use the plant dyed silks I had made last year. Layering 2 of them over a piece of walnut dyed material gave me realistic rock and a warm background.

I added a few pin tucks and stitch lines to represent cracks in the rock. Black wool as veins gives some weight.


I'll play around with the finishing and the positions for a few days. I've even thought about adding a hand print.
We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment