Tuesday 24 February 2015

Back to work

I've been cooling my heels for a few days, bored; tired of this winter, and utterly devoid of ambition.
Mailed the baby quilt and the few items I assembled around working on the large pieces I'm holding for the show in May.

I'm rather loathe to begin something large right now, particularly when I don't feel I have any fresh ideas. So I kicked myself into action today and started, revisiting the snippets I enjoyed working on in the past.

I only have a vague idea what this is going to be so I worked on what I consider a rather generic background for ..... something.

 
First you start with a thousand little pieces. Well this is the way I do it.

A lot of instructions for snippets art instruct you to bond your material to a fusible web and then cut it. I find this expensive, but more importantly, you need to apply each piece individually so the web side is down.
Too slow for my use.
I use batiks almost exclusively for this because they are the same both sides, so no matter how they land on the background, they're right side up.
And I simply sprinkle them, this time, over a fusible interfacing.


After I had fused as many tiny pieces as I could stand (without screaming) I switched horses and used a fabric spray glue and applied the last, somewhat larger pieces, using tweezers to place about 100.

This is a long way from being secure yet, so the whole piece was covered with netting and I started stitching using a grey mono filament in the leaf pattern, to hold them in place. So far I've only worked on the green, because I haven't decided yet what motif to use on the "sky". Little "birds"?, tiny clouds? wind patterns or simply a micro stipple?


Until I'm really inspired I have to push past this lethargy and that hardly ends with my best work.!
Hurry Spring! (though they're predicting snow till way past my birthday........sigh)




No comments:

Post a Comment