Friday 2 January 2015

Reflection - Final

While working on this piece I became very aware of one of my short comings. Planning!
Not my strongest suit. I really hadn't thought about how to finish the reflections in the water and hadn't given much though to the sky.
While I hadn't intended to mini microquilt the sky  after the fact, that's what I ended up doing, primarily to remove the distortion but also to balance what became a heavily quilted piece.

After I used the shaped roving on the trees, I used a combination of very thin, amorphous shaped roving and additional pieces of organza to create indistinct reflections and shadow in the water. This was all layered under the bronze organza on the water.
The quilting of the water in a close lateral meander was done with two different tones of mono filament with the intent of implying lighter regions of water. It works in certain light. The mono filament gives a bit of sparkle. For the sky I didn't want any sheen so I used a flat thread.

 
 
 
In the end, this worked out well. I'm pleased with the reflection process, so this exercise was a success, but I will honestly say I am not fond of the "Antoni Gaudi" impressionistic trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment