Saturday 10 January 2015

Challenge #2 - Blown Away -CQA - Lethbridge

Well I hadn't planned on starting this today. I actually went down to my studio this morning with other plans. But this cartoon was staring me in the face and I wanted to see if my idea was feasible.

This challenge is a little more forgiving? in that there are 5 fabrics instead of 2. I think I've figured out how to make them work for me.
There are two categories with this challenge. The first is the use of the 5 fabric plus whatever others you want and the  other is the harder? task of using only the 5. That's the one I'm going for.

As the theme is "Blown Away" (I understand the winds in Lethbridge Alta. are fearsome and unrelenting), this is what I've chosen to attempt.


 
After literally days of searching and changing my mind several times, I found online, this copyright free image used in a children's book, from the 1900's about the NorthWind. After enlarging it I copied it onto newsprint, just big enough to fill the fat quarter.


Cutting it out with an eye to the original is a slow and delicate process.

 
But when I transfer the cartoon pieces to my chosen background it works pretty well.

 
Once I had the pieces cut, the transfer to the web and fabric went quickly. All 5 fabrics are there. The hair, beard and mittens are the same fabric. The hair is just reversed to make it lighter, as is the face, the red, reversed.
All that's left to do now is the thread painting. (Don't you just love the cavalier manner I say that!) LOL ( I have until May.......probably finish it next week)

No comments:

Post a Comment