Tuesday 6 January 2015

3D Moth

Well I changed my mind..again re making this gal 3D. The first push was the density of the structure. By the time I had finished thread painting, trimming and folding the excess to the underside and then covering the raw bottom, it was easy to shape the body and the wings. The second push came from the flower structure. They were very puffy and petal like. I tried ironing them to remove that but the fact that I had added a layer of organza plus two pieces of the required yellow cloth resulted in a seam line that wouldn't lie flat.

Way back when I started this I'd had the idea to wet felt a body for this moth and then add wings. I had thrown that Idea out BUT I had made the body. I took this felted cylinder and wrapped it with gauze to give me something with defined edges that would take stitches.

I sewed this cylinder to the underside of the moth structure, tapering it toward the rear and adding tighter passes of thread, indenting the abdomen to imply segments.

Now this moth sits off the surface and is in keeping with the dynamic flowers. (Still not time for the antennae.)



 



No comments:

Post a Comment