Saturday 3 January 2015

Challenge # 1 - Nightscapes

I'm finally ready to start this one.

When this was first introduced at a guild meeting in September, I laughed at the fabric choices. I guessed they didn't sell well so the manufacturer was happy to offer the materials as a challenge. Left over Halloween?  Owls and moon Yellow?


Not very inspiring. So I walked out and didn't bite.

However, at a later meeting, I was chatting with a PP. regarding the poor response to the challenge fabrics. She coaxed and I bought!
The material sat in its wrapping for at least another month, while I thought and explored the theme.

I got thinking about what happens at night. Lots of unseen things like the evening primrose (that yellow is almost the right colour). Night blooming flowers are visited by moths. An idea was born.

The evening primrose and the Hawk moth.. a dance in the dark!

 
 

Don't you just LOVE the internet!  So I began to see this might be fun.

But first I had to do something about that awful owl fabric. I knew I only had to include a small portion in the picture but I decided I wanted to feature the colour in a big way. I found on line and ordered one of the companion fabrics. (The rest were really very lovely, but the owls????)

 
Using a method I hadn't done for a long time I married the two fabrics into a woven composite. The owl is less obvious but the eyes are there........ watching all the drama of the night!
 


(It's not just me.. my camera does not like this purple. Even with photo shop I doubt it will look the same twice.)

                         
 
So that's where I am to date. I'm still laying out the design to marry the insect and the flower. I think this will end up being 3 dimensional, definitely a mixed medium effort.


No comments:

Post a Comment