Thursday 24 April 2014

Harbingers of Spring.


Apologies for the ten days absence. Not my idea. I was busy having frustrating discussions with a bully, the medical machine. I had started this project and had left it unfinished. That in it self is frustrating. But I had plenty of time on my back to visit and plan in my head. I do this anyways but usually in the wee small hours.

I can look out the window NOW, and things are greening, but it was a long haul through this winter. One of the first real signs of relief were the crocus that began poking up in sheltered areas. I don't count the robins as they run on sun time. That's not always in sync with the weather.

 
This is a beautiful sight after 150+ days of snow. The fresh green in the snow and the colour of the flower, so brilliant, it reflects, shadowing the crystals. There are many sources in the web for simple sketches. Six petals and a thick pollen covered stigma.
 
 
I had stashed away some brilliant purple jelly roll strips, perfect for this one. As I had really liked the previous use of tiling, I modified the method a bit to create interesting pockets of shadow.
 
 
Strips of pale mauve and bits of deep purples were arrange and fused to form the base.
 
 
A double overlay of two purple organza and then some white organza formed the base/background. Over that, some lozenge shapes for crocus buds were fused and then given a suggestion of stems and leaves.
 
 
Now I referred to several photos on line to cut and shape 3 flowers. These were given darker and more complex foliage The petals had been cut from two different batiks, so highlights and filling were used to round them out and define petals on each flower.
 
 
Finally, two shade of yellow were used for the stigmas and as a final salute to winter some shiny white highlights were added with metallic thread.
 
 
 
This is not finished. It will not remain this size but I need to live with it for a few days to decide how much I will cut it down, and how I will finish it. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment