Wednesday 18 September 2019

Summer 2.0

Glorious weather leading into Fall.
Time for some of those messy chores that are always in the back of your mind.

A) Washing the Wool Duvet.
MY machine is too small for a King size duvet so laundry tub it was. Barely!
I did spin it in the washer a couple of times but I was getting a little nervous about the sounds of labouring gears and/or belts?
A quick run from the basement outside with a still wet and heavy duvet to the drying racks.
It's been there 3 days now and is almost dry. I covered it each night with a tarp to keep the dew off (though in retrospect it probably wouldn't have made a difference.)
And the Sun has certainly helped with the yellow discoloration around the edges from heavy use.

Just one corner stubbornly wet. Maybe tomorrow I'll take it to the drying and make sure it's really dry.


b) Splitting and Repotting.
I know I just did this last year but the warm wet summer made my Kafir lily grow to the point where it was all I could do to get it off the deck. 


While it didn't bloom this spring, either because of wonky weather or the fact that I re potted it last fall, it definitely was healthy and big.



Note the knife buried in its guts, (sorry, root ball). With liberal hose spraying to get the dirt out and brave but steady tugging it apart, I ended up with 5 good sized babies. But like a litter of kittens you daren't keep them all. Three into a bag and free for who ever wants one and two potted. This is up from the one pot Ive usually kept for the last five years, but I just couldn't throw them all out.

These two will sit in the front window now until April/May.


I know they won't bloom for at least two years now. They like to be pot bound.....but not the way they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment