Thursday 19 September 2019

6 inch Mosaic Frog

I've been putting together some samples for the workshop I'm leading on the 28th. I want to show the versatility of what I consider a real short cut, hooping detail work off the quilt.


This is the guy I decided to do and while he turned out great he's not really practical to use in this lesson. He took me 4 hours but then the whole thing 'grew like topsy'.

Step one: trace the image onto both light stabilizer and a tearaway 'solvy' product.
                Add registration marks top and bottom for re alignment

(But then I veered from my original intention and I decided to treat it like a mosaic. I had these confetti  from another project that were just a perfect Frog colour.)



As there is no adhesive on these bits so each was anchored with a glue stick.

Step 2: Colour the body of the Frog with the method of your choice. Material, paint, crayon....

Step 3: place the 'cartoon' into the hoop layering it in the following order.

            !st layer - netting (for strength)
            2nd layer - stabilizer with image
            3rd layer - green organza
         
Step 4: Hoop the sandwich.

           4th layer - pin the second image of the frog over the sandwich matching the registration  marks     and outline. It was too fiddly to keep the four layers aligned so I added the solvey after everything was secure.


Step 5: The image was stitched all round in green. With its purpose finished, the solvey was torn away. The cartoon was removed from the hoop to facilitate satin stitching on another machine.


And as a nod to Neil Gaiman (Coraline) .....Button Eyes


The stabilizer will tear/trim easily as the edge is full of holes. The structural strength now comes from the netting. It may not be necessary to remove it. It all depends where it is used.

No comments:

Post a Comment