Sunday 14 December 2014

MORE Baking

Celebratory baking today.
I will have both my employed sons here Christmas eve and Christmas.
That hasn't happened for almost 10 years, when they were still in university. AND my youngest has landed his dream programming job, (so mother can sleep again. LOL)

Today I'm making my Mom's butter tarts. Though I can, I'm not making the pastry today, but I'm sure the ready made will do this recipe proud.

My husband pointed out to me recently, I was diligent in sharing my techniques in my sewing but I hadn't included the recipes for  the Christmas fruit cake, shortbread or the mince tarts (that's a no brainer..its a commercial mixture). My apologies for making you hungry and then thwarting you. Email me if you'd like the recipes I used this year.

 
 I have a very few of these recipe cards in my mother's hand. She's been gone for 17 years so I do cherish these little bits. Most are food stained but this one is still pretty clean. Its a very simple and versatile recipe. I omitted the currents, (didn't have any in the pantry) and today I added pecans, my nod to the decadent pecan pie I don't dare let into this household.

I placed 2 pecans in the bottom of a PRE- COOKED tart shell and one on the top of the unbaked mixture.
This is a slow oven temp, 350F, so I eyeball cooked them for around 20+ minutes.
They will bubble over if you over fill the shells. That's another reason I stopped doing these in a tart pan. Too many broken tarts stuck to the pan.

 
This recipe made exactly 12 tarts so the last 3 are filled with peach jam.......and a pecan.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment