Friday 1 May 2020

A Walk in the Woods

I'm starting a new work..
This is a very different work as it's a lap quilt with a twist.
About a month ago while I was still in the final stages of the Yorklands project, I received an email asking if I would make a lap quilt based on one of my Art Pieces, one of my woodland scenes.

I said I would get back to them when the current piece was finished but immediately that little worm burrowed into my brain.
I don't like being between pieces. I thought I had one lined up and ready to haul out of my brain but this new one pushed it aside. So I spent the last two weeks rather lost, eating too much, sleeping at the wrong times all the while wrestling with the logistics of this piece in the face of very limited access to new materials.

I will be the first to admit I have a lot of landscape suitable materials, greens, but if I've learned anything its that the patterns don't really matter, only the colour. If you cut something small enough the pattern is lost. And I had fallen in love with the tiny when I did the SAQA effort. (Nov 2019 and the blog background)

So I threw out the idea of confetti and most raw applique work. I didn't want it to look like a panel but it had to stand up to machine washing.
I settled on the concept of a frame of 'standard' rigid quilt blocks with the 'picture' bleeding into them.
This is seen quite often in art quilts as an alternate background so why not in a full size quilt.

Hexagons? Kaleidoscope? 9 patch?
This morning I dumped my scrap bag to see just what I had to offer in the way of foliage and forest.



There are lots of small, great for chopping into those confetti styles but this time I hunted for and ironed pieces with some dimension. Anything that had some length and no less than 1.5 inches (I can sew some together). The materials covered shade, sunshine, forest floor, and mottled sky. All shades of green.
I even found cutoffs from quits of many years back.

I don't yet have a pattern/picture in mind.
We've been exchanging a few emails trying to narrow the field. I think the picture is almost there but.............


1 comment: