Friday 31 May 2019

Taking Hubby Shoe Shopping

I wrote a while ago about the trials of replacing those essentials, Bra and Jeans. I did recover.

https://marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com/2017/07/ageing-indignities-not-for-feint-of.html 

But now I finally admitted the black 'sneakers' were not Summer fare and were getting a little tired,  not really suitable for dressing up or even going anywhere unless dressed in grubbies or jeans.

As I'm soon doing a road trip with the girls I admitted to myself.........It was time.


I hate shopping (and have mentioned it, out loud, a couple of times).

This morning, as I was sitting in the sunshine, finishing a third cup of coffee, Hubby offered to take me Shoe shopping. I looked at him fondly and gently said something like he was the last person who deserved to go shoe shopping with me. But he looked so crest fallen I added " If you really want to, I'm game."
(The first catch was I had to help him into his support hose. We're starting to make a pretty good team there.)
He has success replacing his 'dockers' periodically in Cambridge so he wanted me to try that store.

Understand that I cannot wear cheap shoes, not that I don't want to or don't think some of them are soooo cute....but I have big, misshapen 'old lady feet'.
I've had them since high school and they aren't getting better. When I can I default to men's shoes.

But they don't carry 'NICE' shoes in any men's department I know of. Maybe I just don't know the right stores.
We started out about 11 AM
It's enough to say 3 stores later, Hubby was having BP issues and a sugar crash.
I offered to drive home but he insisted in carrying on.... after we made a lunch stop at Timmy's.

We started going store to store on the route home. My ace in the bottom of my purse would have been a $ Bio-ped $ store. In fact I had been resigned to starting there.

Close to 3 PM we made our last stop......at a Shoe Per store.
Eureka.
The first pair.
(I don't think it was because I had tried on at least 50 unsuitable pairs and was desperate, or knew it was now a mission hubby was on.).
The first pair fit and didn't pitch or chafe.
They didn't cause searing pain in the ball of my feet or put my toes on fire.
I could actually WALK in them. I must have walked around the store twenty times.
They were wide enough.... and...feminine ....enough.

German made Rieker's
Sold.
What a Saint I live with.  💓


1 comment:

  1. I'm married to a saint too - but I don't think even he would be quite so cheerful about shoe shopping. I'm not a shopper either and absolutely detest trying things on. I find a pair of shoes I like and wear them for years and mostly live in Birkenstocks.

    ReplyDelete