Monday 11 March 2019

Waiting for Spring - Reworking a Sashiko Style Vest

I like to think of it as Spring Fever rather than Winter depression. But it's robbing me of energy and ambition. Even the news that our composite piece, Naomi's Boat was juried into the the CQA show in Ottawa this June left me feeling even more tired, end of the marathon tired. ( They requested a social media blackout on the accepted pieces, so After the show I'll post our experience. The girls and I are going on a road trip!)

I decided to rework a vest I had made back when the Sashiko craze hit our area. At the same time I was coming out of a Baltimore blocks obsession. I decided to combine the two. Well I wore this vest for many years but decided last week the Baltimore blocks had to go. They were competing with the embroidery work I had done on the back.
I spent several days removing the Baltimore block without disassembling the vest and stitching four Sashiko style blocks. It was great you tube video and evening TV work.

I haven't decided how to fasten the front. I removed some big clunky wooden buttons and haven't found a replacement yet. No hurry.

Here are the four 9 inch Baltimore style blocks I removed. I have no idea what I'll do with them but....




This is the back with the embroidery that I really love. These new blocks (which BTW are stitched on fabric I salvaged from Hubby's discarded shirt) are more appropriate.


Yes I know the motifs on the front are Celtic but I imagined them, at the time, as an OK substitute for Dragons. I haven't looked into that issue because the background stitching frames them rather tightly.





Much better, softer composition.


No comments:

Post a Comment