Thursday 21 February 2019

Two Weeks Later - Pre Spring Cleaning?

What have I've been doing?
The worst possible job.
Purging my workspace.
The snow is still coming down, I have fallen a few times on the ice and this winter is threatening to go on for at least another 6 weeks, (thanks to the groundhogs). I shovel snow and chop ice on the driveway..... almost daily.
It's enough to depress anyone.

This is often an awkward time of year. I can't ship any of my work out to be sold if it's entered into a show.
I need to hold on to samples if I've got a Trunk show in the next few month. (April)
And to add to all that, I have to write a description of the workshop I've been asked to do. (September)
I knew the addition of four bags of wool fleeces this year was the breaking point in my space.
I couldn't find anything........ and I had no place to put anything.
I couldn't find my worktop, and I had nothing to do.

I'm not happy in a mess.
I can't work in a messy location.
I was avoiding my workspace.

It was time.

I started by putting away every piece of cloth; yardage into drawers, FQ onto the shelves and scraps sorted into colours and bagged.
Then I went through every drawer and removed materials I will never use, went through every bag of cloth/clothing that well meaning people gave me to use and last, rooted through every large storage bin that held 'treasures' ? from years past.
What didn't go out in the garbage went to be recycled. Yardage went into a box as give away.
Suddenly I had a little elbow room. I could breath.

(And that space where my husband stockpiles and dumps everything...that space where all my friends and clientele politely avert their eyes .......I swept it clean too. YES !)

( I still have that disastrous corner I call my laundry room....another time)

3 comments:

  1. I think there's something 'going around' because I know of a lot of bloggers that are doing the very same thing with their creative spaces (myself included). I purged a LOT but admit to being someone astonished that what was left has simply expanded to fill the space. What's with that?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so you cleaned the office?

    ReplyDelete