Thursday 9 August 2018

Custom quilting

We have a quilt show in September and I"m getting a bit nervous. I fear people are going to present me with quilts to finish with a really tight deadline. It's not so bad if they want something simple or an overall design. It's the truly custom work that takes planning time.
I spent over an hour last night with a friend whose quilt is actually a wedding gift, but may make it into the show first.
Like a lot of people, she knew what she didn't want. That's a start.

It is a lovely quilt, with a lot of negative space.


After playing around with a few designs we settled on a four armed organic shape for the 16 inch blocks. The borders will be variation on that theme.

 

This is derived from a leafed feather pattern.


Sized to fit one quarter of the block.


I wanted to start with a perfect circle so the best fitting template was........... the cookie box.


Then the shape was massaged with french curves.


The final 'quarter' was replicated buy running four pattern blanks through my sewing machine.


Then they were placed and taped into position and the joining centre was finalized.
.

The finished pattern was transferred to clear plastic so my friend could visualize how the stitching would be in position on the block.




So now I wait until she gives me the final approval.



No comments:

Post a Comment