Saturday 7 June 2014

Background - Day 2

At this point the size of the piece becomes important. I need a substrate to attach all these pieces to. I really like using the lightweight interfacing or the pattern weigh non-woven poly. It adds no bulk or weight and I can manipulate it without fearing that it will tear or separate. A lot still needs to be done before I layer it with canvas and batting to it's full size.


Over the pieced "sky", I layered odd pieces of an un inspiring background. This is necessary to fill the w holes that will occur as the foreground is created.
I placed several pieces of wool yarn and stitched them with invisible zigzag. These are the tree trunks in the background. Trees may be straight but they don't necessarily grow straight. Ramrod straight is just too unnatural.

 
 At the top, I stitched in some pine boughs. There will be more in the foreground as well. I wanted to relive the too brown background with a bit of green. Evergreens are all I can use because this is autumn.


The Doe is auditioned on the surface as each layer of the foreground is added. A few larger tree trunks are added. Now to add a few more evergreen boughs and leafy branches and then stitch her down, batting and backing.

No comments:

Post a Comment