Saturday 15 March 2014

Saskatchewan Grain Elevator

I have a weakness for the Prairies. There is just something about the open vista and endless horizon.
I've already done a few pieces in that genre. One of my favourites is below.

 
The brilliant colour of the red barns in the middle of nowhere is, I think iconic of our disappearing heritage and history. So last year, while researching something else, I came across a stain glass image of the grain elevators of the prairies and I knew they were on my list of "must do"s.
 
 

Big blue sky turns up a lot in the prairies and I wanted to do something different this time, so I borrowed from Gloria Loughman's book "Radiant Landscapes" and tiled the sky. This was an ideal solution for me as I didn't have a large enough whole piece of the material I wanted to use.

 
It filled the space and I think it should add to the vertical nature of the elevators.

I'm determined to use different materials in  my work, trying to get past the limitations of quilting cotton, so rather than go shopping, I rooted through my remnants of dress materials and found a lovely coral with a vertical weave. Now coral isn't a colour that comes to mind when thinking about Barn Red, but when I overlaid it with a filmy curtain remnant in red, it changed the tone to a much more suitable colour.

Using a full size cartoon like you would in serious applique work I've assembled most of the barn complex. I'm undecided yet what treatment I'll give the tin roof or how I'll finish the siding, but its coming along. So here we are, as of today. There is a lot of trial and error until it feels right.




4:00 pm ...... I actually got further with this today than I thought I would. All that is left is the ground and the road. I'm not sure how or if I will do a lot of embellishment. I have to stare at it for a while and sleep on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment