Sunday 12 January 2014

Winter Solstice - sold

When I was a young and unattached woman in university I became fascinated with Gaia and  spirituality. I would have joined a wiccan on the spot just to dance naked on the solstice. Instead I got a job. But every midsomer and midwinter I feel a nostalgia for the mysteries. This last winter solstice, as I explored the Stonehenge pages I found a painting that took my breath away. SO I had to reproduce it.
I love it.
 
It turned out to be deceptively simple to make. It also was great I had a perfect material in my stash.
I started by adding a touch of colour (I imagined they were northern lights) by sprinkling a tiny amount of RIT dye on the dry fabric. After spritzing it with water I let it sit for a few minutes and after rinsing off the excess, heat set it with the iron. The moon is a perfect circle.
Then came the trees.
These are actually made from upholstery gimp, the trim that is used to hide staples and nails on furniture. After anchoring the bottoms in the "snow" I unraveled the trim and let the strands fall where ever. I anchored it all by covering it with a wash away stabilizer and stitched over all the strands with invisible thread. A quick rinse and the piece became 3 dimensional.
 
 
And then I did it all over again. This is the Yggdrasil Tree of the Norse mythology. Same process.
I will do this style again.!

1 comment:

  1. The two art pieces are truly beautiful. I'm glad you're up and blogging again.

    ReplyDelete