Thursday 16 January 2014

Takakkaw Falls Trail version 2 - SOLD

I suppose I shouldn't have complained when my sister informed me that the original version of this piece had sold, but in a way I was saddened because it had only been on display for less than a week. Only a very few people had seen it and now it was gone. To Australia. I had personally been so pleased with the piece myself I wanted it to hang for at least a month or so, in order for more people to enjoy it.
Does that sound a little odd?
I knew I would make a second but it was a full six months before I could return to that piece. (A few quilts got in the way!!?)

The first version based on the photo my husband took, illustrated here, was about 24"x18", a good size for a lot of detail. I think my favourite part was the addition of my sister and myself in the picture. It certainly adds a punch to the perspective and majesty of the scenery.


There are some differences in the second. The mountain is lighter and there are fewer "cheater" trees, (cutouts). I increased the density of the trees on the left, but from earlier experiments knew I couldn't give it real weight as the branches disappear into each other.


There were more fabrics used in this version. Its size has increased as well to 36"x24". My sister and I grew from about 1 inch to almost 2 inches! The mountain is paler but the sky has more life. There is more detail around the fallen logs and the field is simply more cluttered with growth. As it should be. The process for this one took over 10 days.

Following are some selected close-ups. Friends ask how it can do so many tiny stitches. "twitch muscles" and rhythm.

 
 
 

1 comment: