Thursday 16 January 2014

Alison's House

I thought I'd go back and include a few pieces that were constructed while I was incommunicado with the rest of the world. It was lonely working in a vacuum because I wanted to share my frustrations with geometry.
Geometry and Art Quilts? How do they relate.? HA!
My sister asked me to make a hanging of her daughter's new eclectic house as a Christmas present. It used to be a restaurant and had a kitschy accent. A waterwheel. No river..no water within 10km, but a waterwheel.

 


Once you get past THAT, you realize they have a beautiful fieldstone house. It was irresistible.
My niece sent along a few photos to work from.



Laying out the whole scene is necessary to get the perspective right even if you don't use the whole thing. I've learned to add at least 2 inches all around anything I make so when trimming time comes there is enough to work from..


Now that pesky little water wheel didn't just happen.. It may be a perfect circle but its on an angle. There aren't many drawing tools or for that matter quilting tools to help. By trial and error I came up with an oval that fit the size and angle I wanted.

 
And because the wheel is made of wood it had to be squared off and cut up into little pieces.
                                                                                 Twice.!
(It was really rather fun working with tweezers and tiny pieces.)
 

The stone work and the siding were a matter of choosing appropriately patterned material that made putting in the accents an enjoyable task. I did take some liberties with the garden aspect. Mowed the lawn and put in some flowers.

 
I'm hoping I can visit my niece and her family in her charming new home. I think I'll take my camera and see what else this old piece of Canadianna has to offer.
I posted this picture of her home on another board and an American woman, who vacations in her area says she knows exactly where the house is and passes it every summer. Small world Alison!.


 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. I hope your family realize how lucky they are to have such a talented quilter in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any time you want to come for a visit, I'd be happy to have you. :-)

    ReplyDelete