Thursday 5 July 2018

Challenge piece

One of the reasons I joined SAQA was to be pushed out of my comfort zone, so this first challenge coming from the local Pod was to make a 12x12 piece based on Summer,
I sat out in my garden every morning before the heat drove me back in. I did my garden work at dawn in full Summer, looking for some inspiration. Looked at leaves, flowers, grass.
Blah!
Nothing intrigued me........except the HEAT.
I had considered doing some pieces with forest fires before; I painted a lot of suitable fabric, but the fire disasters in Canada and the US last summer and this, discouraged me. I wasn't ready to turn them into art.
So rethinking Heat,  I thought about what heat is......part of EMS, the electro-magnetic spectrum. This includes, beside visible light, infra red, untraviolent. microwaves etc.
That spoke to the science teacher in me.

What colour?
Red of course but with visible waves.

I started with some of last year's fabric,


and after stitching a lot of wavy patterns, (mostly hidden by the time I was finished) over laid the whole thing with red cheesecloth then confetti and netting and stitched to capture the confetti.




Then I added "particle" tracks in different colours in widths of Satin stitch and finished with bright white photons!

HA!
Love Science and the mystery of Quantum Physics.
Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment