Sunday 4 March 2018

Workshop with Maggie Vanderweit

We're lucky in Guelph to have this talented artist live nearby. It gives us access to a lot of her workshops.      http://www.stonethreads.ca/

She gave an Abstract workshop yesterday for a large number of my guild members.
I attended.
I've decided I STILL don't understand ABSTRACT.
I just don't get it. I'm sure it has a lot to do with my expectations.
I was very comfortable with the first part. We distressed the canvases by cutting them apart and reassembling them. That was mindless, but I really didn't know where to go from there.

I saturated mine with paint while others were more delicate? adventuresome? using stencils and stamps.

I was disappointed with my results at the time, (though one was acceptable), but today I'm feeling a bit more kindly towards all four of the pieces. Maggie said I would!

This morning even the backsides had their merits.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

But that's why we attend workshops to step out of our comfort zones. Maybe we should attend with NO expectations.

LOL

The first of each series is the raw distressed canvas. That was fun. Yesterday I hated this one. I'm feeling warmer towards it now.



Unfortunately a worm slipped into my head and this now evokes the monster from the Netflicks "Stranger Things". But maybe that's OK.


 The back has an entirely different feel!



Yesterday this had been the best of the lot. Today? Nope!




A friend tried to salvage this one by applying some of my cheesecloth. I would have used red, she chose pink. It DID make a difference.



This last one???? Doh!





So I haven't a clue what I'm going to do with these. It will be interesting to see if this experience affects my future work in any way. I still have the cloth I created last summer with Maggie.
At the moment.....it's too precious to use.
Thanks Maggie!!

No comments:

Post a Comment