Friday 16 March 2018

Guild Challenge - 2018

Time to get down to work as this piece needs to be complete by April 10.

Our Tri-annual quilt show is this fall. As usual the guild has offered some Northcott fabrics for their Challenge. (As usual its a tad.......ugly?)


The theme is 'Anything but Square'
Now that's a deceptively simple? concept. So simple I've sat on these fabrics since last fall trying to become inspired by fabric I don't like and would never use.

But in the last few months I've simply been trying to work up the nerve.
Why?
Because I came across a wonderful piece of art by Jenny Klevering, a hugely popular European artist.
It took awhile to hunt her down as my first contact was via Pinterest. People are not always consistent or accurate when it comes to giving sources. But I managed to work back many levels and contacted her in Germany. She happily gave me permission to make a rendition in cloth and is looking forward to my efforts.

Why the nerve?
Well by North America standards some may think it in poor taste or grotesque.
I LOVE IT!
I have since the moment I laid eyes on it.


Those two rather "BUSY and GAUDY" fabrics will make wonderful bathing suites, albeit very small.

I've spend quite a bit of time already on head stuff. The hows and whats.
The flesh is the only real issue here. The shading and shadowing are an integral part so I played with crayons first.



I still want to try some other materials but I think after this weekend, away with the Grand, I should be in the head space I need.
Stay Tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment