Friday 21 May 2021

Finishing the Old Man (cheesecloth construct/Mary Pal)

It's taken much longer than I expected to make a decision with this Old Man. He was smaller than I like so in order to enlarge the piece I used black denim.

How much? I wanted him offset and pushed down by the 'storm'.

Then I was stuck with how to show the snow. Last time I used paint, but it was a much larger piece and the smallest line on that would have been overwhelming on this rendition. Bits of Cheesecloth, string or wool?

I tried them all. After rooting through the attachments I found one with a grove that would guide and hold the piece of thin wool while it was stitched. I ended up unravelling a 4 ply poly yarn and used that.

I went ahead and totally finished the piece with a pillowcase binding and a hanging sleeve.

I still may add more 'snow' and /or a black binding. I'll live with it for awhile.



No comments:

Post a Comment