Saturday 11 July 2020

Mystery Quilt

My local guild is working hard through this pandemic to reach out to its members via Zoom meetings, sharing interesting sites and for the summer, offering a mystery quilt.
I wasn't going to participate in this at first, but I find myself creatively stymied. I need to visit a fabric store for a project that's been on the burner for awhile. But I am loath to venture out right now.

I sewed dozens of masks for my family and for various groups.
And then I woke one day and decided to join in the Mystery quilt.

After about an hour I almost threw in the towel. The tripping point was the first on the list.........3 metres for a main fabric.
While I do have several packages of 3 metres they are fabric really only suitable for backs. Not interesting enough to be a focus fabric. .
Except for 3.
Now I'm gambling here (that was another day or two to make this decision). I have 3 yds of several possibles. I'm gambling I won't run out of fabric. This is based on the number of kits I have done in the past where there was leftover fabric, sometimes a significant amount. If I run out..........

It became a toss up between Green ( dark and heavy but I think I have 100+ FQ, a lot of that colour.)
OR
Blue ( a really old fashioned looking print suitable for my mother's living room.)
OR
Tan/beige.
As I worked to match them with the necessary extra fabrics my mind settled into a Blue/orange/brown combination.
I rejected the Blue as the main fabric as I just didn't like it.
The Tan was left, and as I pulled more FQ in browns and blues it started to jell (though this morning I traded a couple of the FQ for some pizzazz and added a blue green and a orangy batik.

Today I made the first block, the centre medallion.
Now I have to wait another week? for the next set of instructions.


No comments:

Post a Comment