Friday 15 November 2019

Seascape - Partners in Crime




Here are the pair of Seagulls. The top one still has visible tags of tulle that will help me anchor the patch to the background when I stitch them down. The lower one has them also but they are white so they disappeared.

I had a request yesterday for technique details. I usually include the construction photos and for some reason this time I didn't. I guess I thought you'd be bored.
The rest of this post will deal with the method.

I call this FM Embroidery.
I always start with a photo sized to the dimensions I want. Even with the hoop there will be a bit of shrinkage but in most cases it's not an issue.
I trace the outline of the photo (using a light box) on a white, non woven interfacing.
Sizing it to my collection of embroidery hoops, I back it with one or two layers of tulle.

Once it's tight in the hoop it's good to go.

coloured cartoon
Colouring the 'cartoon' with pencil crayons aids in disguising the gaps between the lines of stitching. If you stitch over a solid coloured applique form of the picture it serves the same purpose, but I find that's an extra, unnecessary step and it can make it hard for the needle and thread.

Grey threads
It's then an exercise in controlled stitching.
With any surface, the direction of the stitching is important to get a smooth appearance. With animal coats, they have to lie in the correct direction.
When you use high end embroidery thread the gloss takes on a different hue, depending on how the light falls on it.
This second picture has most of the main colour of grey applied.




The finished birds are complete but still in the hoops.
All that remains is to carefully cut away all the interfacing and tulle. With enough stitching, the interfacing generally tears away leaving the tulle but there are always a few spots that need additional trimming.

I use the cheapest thread I can get away with as these guys eat it up. Using such a thin surface there is seldom any breakage. Some thread is shiny and some not. Shiny usually goes on last, over top.

Hope this answers some questions. If not ask away!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this explanation. Wish I could sit next to you while you work on a project but since I cannot, your photos and explanation are extremely helpful. I think I need to just sit down at some point and give this a go so as to see what I can do and how to make it work.

    ReplyDelete