Wednesday 13 January 2021

Odd Jobs

I was looking on line to purchase more Lino block blanks. This time I was ready to splurge on the mounted pieces and even try some of the softer materials. But no matter where I turned I was unable to buy the size or the quantity I wanted. (at a sensible price.)

This block has turned up several times for me in the crafty areas. The pandemic has stripped the shops of materials as people have looked to their hobbies, new and old to get them through these times. 

Even Amazon was no help.

So I turned to solving the problem that prompted this search. Carved lino pieces tend to curl and this affects the print.

We received a ton of styrofoam packaging this year and some of the pieces were flat! As hubby had the contact cement out for another reason I tried it on the foam.

It ate it.

Plan B - Glue gun.

This worked very well. I glued all my carved pieces to the flat areas of the styrofoam and roughly cut them out. Using a very sharp carving knife and a box cutter I was able to pare down most of the unwanted material.


But the edges were annoyingly flaky. So I ironed the edges.


I placed a piece of parchment paper over the surface of my iron and applied the styrofoam edges as you would wood to a sander.

Perfect smooth melted edge.



All pieces were mounted flat, and put away. Another job done.



No comments:

Post a Comment