Tuesday 9 June 2020

Walk in the Woods - Detailing

It's a much faster process to design and assemble an art piece than it is to finish it.
It this case, as it's a functional quilt, every raw edge needs to be addressed. This was probably the reason for my hesitancy to use this method at the beginning.

So, off and on I've been overcasting edges for 6 days ? now. All the background that went together so easily with fusible web or glue....... needs to be finished, this all before I add more finishing pieces, leaves etc.

Probably close to another 5 days before this flimsy is complete.




2 comments:

  1. In facing this demand, would you do anything differently were you to make an artistic functional piece like this again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should ask....LOL
    The main issue for this was the timing.i.e. the Covid lock down. That forced me to use what materials I had on hand, hence the change of direction at the beginning. I also tried to limit the amount of fusible materials I used seeing the this was meant to be crushable and malleable so it would have a chance at being cozy. That put the the cut edges at risk, so they needed overcasting. Could I have used turned applique? Yes, but as I did reposition some pieces a few times that wasn't practical. All that said... it's been a great exercise. But no I don't think I would have done it differently. ;)

    ReplyDelete