Sunday 19 October 2014

Tofino Trail

This one has a deadline. Early December. My concern with this, as with my Jelly Bean project is I have a few things in mind, so if I change my mind I need extra time.
But I dove in today.
So here is Wendy's original photo and my portion selection photo shopped.
 

 
I painted a fat quarter in grey and dirty green to use as a background.
I'd spent some time thinking about how I could add dimension to this piece. After experimenting with folding a piece of paper, I stitched a pattern of crease and fold "lines" on my background. I then "Felted" a line of wool yarn down each line to give me a physical reference. Then I got out my wool rovings and went to work.
 
This one is going to look like nothing for a long time.


It's been a while since I did any felting and I have already made a trip out to replace the needles.
I think I have the hang of it again.
The black wool lines are the inside edge of a fold and the lighter grey yarn are the upward or outer edge. This hopefully will give me the look of the buttress effect of the tree base in my photo.
I'm using shades of grey, brown and black. There is some moss to be added so I've place some green as well. I'm undecided as yet whether I will felt the moss or go back and use my netting technique to build up a different texture. And will that be before I fold and anchor the piece or will I hand stitch it in place.
This is currently the full fat quarter. As its only a portion of my photo, I'm going to have to check with a group member to recall the max/min size we decided on.

No comments:

Post a Comment